I've been posting a lot on this subject recently, so this post is mostly a review of my previous posts.
(1) Political views are almost certainly genetic.
(1a) This was discussed in a NY Times article, and the conclusions were based on research involving identical twins.
(1b) How else does one explain how two intelligent people, who perhaps even studied the exact same field (such as economics), could have vastly divergent views on political matters? Political views are not an expression of logical reasoning, but rather an expression of some base emotion. and personality differences of this sort are usually influenced by genes.
(2) Jews are more strongly Democratic than any other identifiable U.S. group except for blacks.
(2a) One can understand why blacks vote Democratic. The Democratic party is in favor of giving stuff to black people, like "civil rights," affirmative action, and government spending on social welfare which disproportionately benefits black recipients. It's a vote of self-interest which is easy enough to explain.
(2b) But why do Jews vote Democratic? In the U.S. Jews are economically successful, they should be voting Republican. This is not just a matter of unthinking party identification; the intellectual leftist core of the Democratic party is disproportionately Jewish. Jews have been disproportionately involved in leftist politics in other countries and previous times. Jewish leftism predated the Holocaust which is often incorrectly blamed for Jewish identification with the left.
(2c) Because we know that politics are genetic, the simplest and most obvious explanation for the mysterious Jewish leftist bent is that the Jewish gene pool has a disproportionate share of leftist genes. This conclusion is boosted by our knowledge that Ashkenazi (European) Jews have been a relatively closed population for the last two thousand years. Although there has been some interbreeding between Jews and non-Jews based on the nearly similar appearance--for example, Russian Jews do not look like Middle Eastern Jews, they look like Russians--the Jewish gene pool has been separate enough to develop distinct Jewish mental traits. The most important is that Ashkenazi Jews have higher IQ than any other identifiable ethnic group. The genetic basis for higher Jewish intelligence was prominently explained in a NY Times article. It naturally follows that other mental traits have been selected for among European Jews, so if we see Jews behaving differently from other Europeans for no apparent reason, it's logical to suspect a genetic basis for the difference.
(3) Jews provide a link to understand exactly what it is that makes a person leftist, or "liberal" as it has come to be called in the United States. By determining what personality traits Jews have in common with non-Jewish leftists, we can hopefully figure out what makes the leftist tick. Because leftism is extremely harmful to mankind in that it creates political systems with poor economies and lack of freedom, it is extremely important to understand leftism so it can be properly suppressed.
(4) I suspect that one common personality trait is guilt, and this is explained in detail my my post on guilt, religion, and politics. Guilt is popularly associated with both Jews (just do a Google search for "Jewish guilt") and liberals, there's a good explanation for why Jews would be genetically predisposed towards feeling guilt, and guilt explains a lot of leftist behavior. Is this just a coincidence?
(5) Maybe "individualism" is the personality trait? The guilty liberal MattyA wrote about his dislike of individulaism in his essay. Guilt and individualism seem to be related. I will need to write more about individualism in a future post.
Maybe Jews aren't leftist after all? Jewish people are proud of our armed forces.