« Sarah Palin, the next Harriet Miers | Main | Trig is not Sarah Palin's baby? »

August 30, 2008

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341bf6ae53ef00e554c63a2b8833

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference What's Sarah Palin's IQ?:

Comments

Did you do any research to see what UofI graduates' IQ scores are?

I'm just asking because, until 10 or 20 years ago, it was very common for smart kids from the West and Midwest to go to college at State U. It was not until more recently that Harvard et al. started getting popular in so-called flyover country.

Even now, there is probably a bias. If you are a smart kid in Boise or Laramie and you don't want to travel far for college, where will you go?

I'm usually IQ-centric, but it really doesn't matter to me whether her's is 110 or 125.

She's a federalist, has solid "country" or rural credentials, and she sounds like she's for value creation over value transference. She'll take a bigger piece of the married female vote for McCain and likely even out the single female vote due to her success, modest attractiveness, and obvious love for her Down's child. It just depends on what part of their brains the single females vote with.

It'll be interesting to see if she becomes a media darling. They won't be able to schtick her as a crotchety old school marm as with Thatcher and Merkel.

I'd be more enthusiastic about the Republican ticket if we dumped the demented, pro-immigration, Ted-Kennedy-fellating liberal, or at least relegated him to the VP slot, and promoted Palin to the head of the ticket.

Per the link below, the average SAT score of freshmen at the University of Idaho is about an 1110. While respectable, I suspect that a 1110 on the SAT does not translate to an IQ of 120. Of course, the average Idaho alumnus/alumna does not become governor of a U.S. state, so the entire discussion is moot.

http://www.eduers.com/sat/score.htm

Pardon my grammatical error in the above post. It should read, "While respectable, an 1100 on the SAT probably does not translate to an IQ of 120."

Here is the current admissions information on the University of Idaho, from the Peterson's Guide. I don't know what the numbers were like when Palin attended.

Admission: 4,577 applied; 3,505 admitted; 1,664 enrolled
Average high school GPA: 3.33
Test Scores:
SAT critical reading scores over 500 68%
SAT math scores over 500 69%
SAT writing scores over 500 58%
ACT scores over 18 91%
SAT critical reading scores over 600 27%
SAT math scores over 600 27%
SAT writing scores over 600 18%
ACT scores over 24 41%
SAT critical reading scores over 700 5%
SAT math scores over 700 6%
SAT writing scores over 700 3%
ACT scores over 30 7%

HS, what's up with this bizzare obsession with undergraduate colleges? I'd be willing to bet that top U of I graduates could cut it any prestigious professional job in this country - as most graduates of the highest tier of their public university. The offer for many people is too good to pass up, and an Ivy League degree is only so useful. Not everyone aspires to some esoteric, moderately well-paid job.

This smart-because-she-read-the-paper-when-young trope seems rather common. I have come across people who have claimed the same about one of their friends, who turned out to be dumb and ignorant, but noticeably more intelligent than the rest. So the important thing here is the IQ of these friends. If they are in the low 90s, a 105 would just radiate genius in their eyes.

This smart-because-she-read-the-paper-when-young trope seems rather common. I have come across people who have claimed the same about one of their friends, who turned out to be dumb and ignorant, but noticeably more intelligent than the rest. So the important thing here is the IQ of these friends. If they are in the low 90s, a 105 would just radiate genius in their eyes.

Interesting watching the lame media pundits jump all over themselves attacking Palin's credentials. But Palin has been an executive of a US state. Her decisions matter--unlike the floppy "decisions" made by a certain baby senator from Illinois.

One month as chief executive counts for more in terms of decision-making experience than 30 years as a senator.

No need to repeat yourself, Zai. No need to repeat yourself, Zai.

Al Gore jumped in the polls when he gave a creepy sloppy kiss to Tipper at his convention.

Sarah has caught the attention of the daytime TV woman voter. But the daytime TV woman voter covets Sarah’s father of five, good looking, snowmobile champion, no political party, oil-worker husband Todd.

The Democrats will not be able to help themselves and will continue to attack Sarah. And when Sarah’s father of five, good looking, snowmobile champion, no political party, oil-worker husband Todd defends her honor one week before the election, it will be won.

Regardless of her merits. Isn’t the Nineteenth Amendment great?

The site below claims to have an SAT to IQ conversion table. An SAT score of 1110 gives an IQ of 117. Let's assume Sarah Palin was moderately above average in IQ at the University of Idaho. Then she could easily have an IQ in the mid-120s. This would be slightly higher than JFK's 119.

http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/SATIQ.aspx

BREAK THE GLASS CEILING !!!
WOW ... What a great pick!!! America should elect
McCain & Palin for the Whitehouse in November,
for a return to wholesome American values.
An experienced Governor for V.P. vs. a
community organizer for President ... I pick Palin.
No Wright, no Farrakahn, no Ayers, no Rezko,
no mean Michelle, NOBAMA

HS --

Here is your assumption error: that High IQ means people go to elite East Coast colleges (Ivies).

That is not the case. Let's just assume that Sarah Palin at 18 had a high IQ. Where can she go? Lacking connections, money, and being white, even if she was admitted she would not be able to afford Harvard.

Harvard has two kinds of people: the rich and connected, and the "diversity" admits of higher test scoring minorities (the Obamas) who generally (though not always) have lower test scores than the poor rural whites.

HS's big assumption error is that poor/middle class intelligent whites have any other alternative than the low-cost state schools. Harvard costs money. Outside the ability of particularly the financial-aid capped middle class to pay, and all the aid money (partial-full scholarships) is directed to minority candidates.

"HS's big assumption error is that poor/middle class intelligent whites have any other alternative than the low-cost state schools."

It's an assumption 90% of the people on this blog make. Look at how everyone thought I was borderline retarded because I chose to go to school in Hawaii instead of someplace cold like NYC.

Not only that, but you have to realize that not all smart people even want to go to college. My little brother is a great athlete,has ~4.0 in high school without trying, but has no aspirations to go to any "elite" school. He just wants to have fun.

re: University of Idaho which to half sigma and others "sounds like a pretty bogus school"

From: www.city-data.com/forum/idaho/127220-thoughts-university-idaho-6.html

US News report ... it looks like Idaho is in good company: Other schools listed to name just a few are:
> Arizona State University
> DePaul
> Oregon State
> Seton Hall
> University of Hawaii
> Texas Tech
> University of Texas

Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine has recently ranked University of Idaho 48th among the 100 best public colleges and universities in the United States. In the survey of more than 500 US public colleges and universities, Kiplinger's placed University of Idaho in the same top category as other distinguished universities such as, The Ohio State University, University of Washington, University of Wisconsin Madison, University of California Berkley and UCLA.

The average pass rate for engineering students taking the Fundamentals of Engineering Examination (the first step toward licensing as a professional engineer) exceeds the national average by 30 percentage points (91.3 vs 62.8 since 1983). In fact, the pass rate was 100% in 1998! Engineering students regularly place very well in regional and national competitions, such as the national ? SAE Formula Car.

She may very well be smart enough to be President. Unfortunately, she has no qualifications or record for the job, which is more important. It is a pandering move that is disgusting.

Oh - and how about not praising Hillary Clinton?? Conservatives are supposed to HATE Hillary. Why are they ignoring this bullshit?

dan kurt said:
"Kiplinger's placed University of Idaho in the same top category as other distinguished universities such as, The Ohio State University, University of Washington, University of Wisconsin Madison, University of California Berkley and UCLA."

If true, that just speaks of what utter rubbish Kiplinger is. Let me tell you: In my entire professional life spanning three different fields of biomedical research over 20 years, I have NEVER read a paper from U Idaho. Just never came across one. As far as I am aware, Idaho does not even exist. Stack it against hundreds of papers from both UWs and the entire UC system.

I don't know about trying to get an IQ from a SAT score. I took the official IQ test on paper and monitored by professionals with a score of 129 and my SAT was 1010.

She's a creationist Christain fundamentalist. How intelligent can she be?

Sarah Palin is at the top of the charts. However, I can't find some pertinent information. How did she do in college? She appears to be brilliant so she probably received excellent grades at Hawaii Pacific College - now known as Hawaii Pacific University - in Honolulu, Hawaii, also at North Idaho College and the University of Idaho. She is being compared to Barack Obama in experience but if she can show superior grades in college she can show that she is a better thinker than he is. After all, it takes a thinker to derive new approaches for change not experience which will confuse the efforts of a change agent. "If we keep doing what we have been doing we will continue to get what we have been getting." I hear that Obama has a Harvard Law degree, President of Harvard Law Review and tops in his class and the school. He is an impeccable thinker. However, I hear those close to her saying she is a better thinker. Grades in school is an initial step as an indicator.

If she had a high IQ or even high SAT scores she wouldn't have had to enter a beauty contest to try and get a scholarship. She is most likely just above average in intelligence but seems driven and at all costs

James-

Grades in college do not mean people can think. It means they know how to please the professor.

Obama is an Ivory Tower elitist –

Obama graduated Magna Cum Laude from the Harvard Law School which is ranked 1st or 2nd best Law School in America. Just like Hillary Clinton before him, he was elected President of the prestigious Harvard Law Review. Obama taught Constitutional Law at the University of Chicago which is ranked as the 2nd, 4th, or 7th best Law School in America, depending on who does the ranking.

McCain is a regular Joe that graduated from the US Naval Academy. Just because you must be nominated to the Naval Academy by someone like a US Senator or your Congressional District Representative, McCain is no elitist that had connections in high places. McCain graduated in the bottom 0.5% of his class, with 593 students out of a total of 599 classmates having higher grades than him.

John McCain grew up as a regular military brat.

Just because he was the son of an Admiral, and the grandson of an Admiral, anyone who has served their country knows it is not true that in our US Military that 'Rank has its Privileges'.

How dare America consider allowing an egg-head with elitist schooling be elected President instead of a regular Joe like you and me?

How can anyone question the intellegance of someone that used her BS in Journalism to work as a TV sports announcer? This just goes toooo far!

McCain's IQ is 133. Get over it.

As she believes in creationism and not science, as she belongs to a group of people believing in a theocracy, as her state has the highest drop-out rate in our nation, as she is closely aligned with a culture which does not produce the researchers, geniuses, classical musicians, world renowned artists, astronomers, constitutional lawyers, physicians, discoverers,inventors, needed in a democracy, should she be a heart-beat from the presidency..After all John McCain is known for his tantrums and one wonders at his mental well being. He is our oldest political candidate. He has experienced prolonged stress which takes away brain plasticity needed in the presidency. His morals after this experience were terrible.

Should the mother of a Downs Syndrome infant leave this child after three days, with the constant talking to, teaching, guarding, health-care and constant attention such a little one needs. ?

"Should the mother of a Downs Syndrome infant leave this child after three days"

This is actually the classiest thing that Palin has done. The upper classes have always had servants look after their children while they do more important upper-class stuff.

Dan Kurt's assertion: "In the survey of more than 500 US public colleges and universities, Kiplinger's placed University of Idaho in the same top category as other distinguished universities such as, The Ohio State University, University of Washington, University of Wisconsin Madison, University of California Berkley and UCLA" is just plain ridiculous. This just stretches the meaning of "category" into the realm of meaninglessness.

First of all, the Kiplinger rankings rate value for money, not just Academic quality. And these are how the schools named above rank:

#09 - University of Washington
#10 - UCLA
#18 - UC Berkeley
#19 - Wisconsin Madison
...
#37 - Ohio State Univeristy
...
...
...
...(wait for it)
...
#98 - University of Idaho

http://content.kiplinger.com/tools/colleges/pubcollege.php?sortby=INRANK04&orderby=flip&states%5B%5D=ALL&myschool%5B%5D=none&outputby=table

The use of the 'average' SAT & HS grade points misses a very important admission rule at the UofI. As a state school, any graduate of an Idaho high school is admitted. As an out of state student, like Palin, there is a much higher standard and they use that to push up the averages. You need very good scores to get in.
BSME U of I 1979

As a fellow U of I graduate with an IQ of 142, I am a little appalled by the generalization that someone who is of a lower intelligence would go to a state run institution. Especially one where the campus is as beautiful as Moscow and the professors actually care about their students. Although, perhaps Governor Palin does have a lower IQ level, as to me, it would seem that only someone who is as completely unqualified and uncaring as a mother would run for VP of the United States of America.

Sarah was a transfer student so SAT or ACT scores do not apply. She struggled to finish her BA in broadcast journalism spending various amounts of time at as many as four different colleges and universities.

BTW I laugh each time I hear a commentator assert that she is articulate and intelligent--it seems that they are playing the "repeat a lie long enough they'll believe it game".

The sad reality is (and hopefully the truth doesn't insult too many from non-competitive universities) a 3.3 average GPA is quite low compared to "competitive universities" that hover well over 3.7, and the average HS from which students come, is of far greater difficulty. The quality of the average HS a U of I student attended would be nowhere near that of NY, Mass., well almost any other. Idaho is generally near the bottom when ranking public education.

It would seem to be common sense that Americans would demand such information about a Presidential candidate as GPAs, SATs, any objectively comparable data.

The fact is, Sarah Palin, by any stretch, is of a mediocre academic track, as is McCain. American allowed (didn't elect) George Jr., despite his poor academics, and he went to the finest schools (with a D average). His presidency hasn't worked out very well. Hopefully, America has learned it's lesson from that fiasco.

Our President should be the brightest and best not someone that simply "fits in" at the local PTA.

I suspect Sarah's IQ is unimpressive or else it would be made public. The same can be said of any other data that somehow has been demanded in her "long political career". I guess Alaskans don't have much regard for objective standards, just redneck values and NRA membership.

I don't care about Sarah's IQ. I care about her positions and understanding of the world. On that test, she flunks.

I am a medical specialist with an IQ of 138 and I went to state school in the midwest. Why? No one in my family had ever gone to college and the concept of going to an elite school never crossed my mind. I also had scholarships to the states school and my parents did not make much money so I went where I went. My class had just over 100 kids and exactly one went to school in the East (Babson).
What concerns me about Ms. Palin is her apparent lack of curiosity about the world and her seemingly lack of insight about her own limitations. I don't like her religious views bleeding into her public life and I suspect she isn't a conservative like I'd like, fiscally conservative, socially tolerant.
She clearly knows very little about the world. There is just no other reason for her to be in seclusion for two weeks. She is cramming. She is being schooled by the very same people who schooled GWB, the neo cons and the israeli lobby. Need I say more. Sarah has a lot of time if she wants to run for national office. She needs to show herself to be a serious candidate and show that she has thought about world issues.
I personally am loathe to vote for anyone that the evangelicals like as they do not represent the best of America

Ok, so rural values? I'm in rural Arkansas, and I can tell you that the values are much different here than in many other places. Iowa, Kansas, Idaho, Florida (not a southern state and that's something all southerners agree on) are basically hijacking this supposed moral code of America. None of these idiots that vote based on morality, can even quote more than the first sentence of the Preamble, and can't quote any of the Declaration. Sarah Palin's IQ I'm guessing is 118-122. But, that is AVERAGE nothing more. I have an IQ of 200, and I can say the way she talks makes me cringe, because it seems that she knows, she'll default into the Presidency. She's not intelligent, merely because of a test score. Her husband is an oil worker? So, I know alot of them here in my state and they have something more than him or her it's called COMMON SENSE. And what's this about removing books from a library? No matter your religion, or supposed values, NO BOOK should EVER be removed from a library, because that people is what the NAZI's did. If you don't like it, then don't read it. If you don't like it don't watch it, and If you don't like it don't listen, but NEVER remove it!!!

-The answer to 1984 is 1776!!!

I went to school with Sarah.
All I remember is that she scored lower than me and I scored about 1000 on my SAT's
I am not surprised that she has had success, but VP of US????
yikes

Bush Doctorine?
She has no clue...it is one thing for the average citizen to not know what the "Bush Doctrine" is...but the VP candidate for a major party should know what it means.
I would say her IQ is average at best...I give her around a 110.

My most recent Personal IQ Test:
151 IQ

McCain
132 IQ

Bush
138 IQ (Somehow)

Abraham Lincoln
150 IQ

John Quincy Adams -
Highest of All Presidents Recorded
175 IQ

Thomas Jefferson -
2nd Highest IQ of all Presidents
160 IQ

Bill Clinton -
3rd Highest IQ of all Presidents


9 Total Presidents in US History have a higher IQ than 151.

Dan Kurt gives the most ridiculous argument for the University of Idaho...stating that Palin went to a good school and then talking about a different school(Area of study) within the University makes no sense.

I went to The University of Texas at Austin and studied Film Production...but that doesn't mean a law firm would hire me or make me qualified to become a lawyer just because Texas has a great law school as well. I didn't attend the law school at UT therefore my experience would not be based on the same as someone who did study law. Palin studied Broadcast News...which has absolutely nothing to do with Engineering. Obviously you never took a debate class and have no logic in your argument.

The assumption that Palin is smarter than the average Vandal...is a ridiculous statement in itself...have you heard her speak(without a cue card)?...she is clueless and it really scares me that she is as close as she is to possibly being the President. God help us all if that happens. A President that thinks a woman who was raped or a victim of incest should have the kids no matter what is the last thing we need right now. Incompetent and a desperate ploy by a McCain campaign whose first two choices were rejected (Joe Lieberman & Tom Ridge). Hillary supporters don't be fooled Palin is Dan Quayle crossed with GW in lipstick.

The only case which she accepts pro choice is if the mother's life is at risk.

WOW ! I wish she had half the IQ of all who vomit their opinions on this. I might vote for her ! Anyone see the interview with Couric ?? I'll take Paris Hilton as a president over this ignorant bitch anytime.

The comments to this entry are closed.