Blogger Gucci Little Piggy has a series of posts on his blog about the alleged phone call between Trayvon and his girlfriend Deedee, and the ABC reporter Matt Gutman.
It seems that this whole incident became national news because Ben Crump was able to get the attention of Gutman, and Crump has been feeding Gutman information since. Gutman was the reporter who got the scoop on the conversation between Trayvon and Deedee, and also the videotape of Zimmerman being taken into custody at the police station.
As far as I can tell, Ben Crump got to Deedee first, and then made a tape recording of her telling Ben about the phone call. It’s not clear if the police ever followed up with their own interview. It has been misreported that there’s a recording of the phone conversation between Trayvon and Deedee when in fact there’s just a recording of Deedee talking to Ben Crump, and who knows how Ben Crump prepped her for that?
I’ve wondered where the video of Zimmerman being taken into custody at the police station came from, but now my best guess is that Ben Crump somehow got hold of it, and then he gave it to Gutman. But how did Crump get it?
* * *
So as we see, Ben Crump has been the mastermind behind the story from the beginning. His accomplishments probably include:
• Getting ABC news to initially report the story.
• Creating the imagery of Trayvon being armed only with Skittles and an Arizona Iced Tea, even though there has been no police report released about what Trayvon was carrying with him. It doesn’t matter if it never happened that way, the national media don’t care about the real facts.
• Getting Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson involved.
• Making a recording of Trayvon’s girlfriend in which she tells a story casting Trayvon in a favorable light.
• After a bunch of news articles appear talking about how Zimmerman was beat up and had a broken nose, somehow he obtains a police video in which Zimmerman doesn’t look so bad and hands it off to Matt Gutman at ABC News.