Commenters sympathetic to the Christian Right have been perpetuating the following lies about abortion:
1. Legalization of abortion caused the massive increase in illegitimate births, and if we make abortion illegal again, this will end the problem of unmarried women giving birth.
2. Liberals “glorify” abortion.
3. Adoption is the solution, not abortion.
4. Abortion it the second-most evil thing in the world. The most evil thing, of course, is racism.
So here are my responses:
1. Watergate also happened in the 1970s, but no one’s blaming Watergate for the increase in unmarried births.
A more correct history is that there was a “sexual revolution” which began in the 1960s. Before the sexual revolution, there was a stigma to having premarital sex. Today there is a stigma to being a virgin; having premarital sex is considered the norm.
What contributed to the sexual revolution was that both birth control and antibiotics drastically reduced the negative consequences of sexual promiscuity, and those negative consequences were getting pregnant and getting a venereal disease. At least getting pregnant used to be considered a negative consequence. More on that later.
The increase in premarital sex led, not surprisingly, to an increase in the number of women getting pregnant, because women from the bottom half of the bell curve are too stupid to properly use birth control. But not all women took advantage of legalized abortion like they were supposed do. The increasing numbers of unmarried women giving birth led to the destigmafication of unmarried motherhood. The expansion of welfare benefits of the 1960s also contributed to the destigmaficaiton of unmarried motherhood because now we actually pay women money when they have children they can’t support on their own, which seems like a reward to me.
Now that everything has been destigmafied, making abortion illegal is NOT going to stop the premarital sex because no one cares about becoming an unmarried mother any more. At this point in time, making abortion illegal will only mean MORE illegitimate babies and MORE welfare payments. I say no thanks.
2. This is just plain untrue. I haven’t seen anyone glorifying abortion since the movie Cider House Rules (which was a really good movie). Liberals, today, are primarily glorifying homosexuality; it’s hard to turn on the television or go to a movie without seeing homosexuality shown in as good a light as possible.
But on the other side of the political spectrum, the Christian Right is busy glorifying motherhood. This is contributing to the destigmification of unmarried motherhood.
3. If you add up the numbers, adoption is not a solution at all. 41% of births are now to unmarried mothers, there simply aren’t enough potential adoptive parents out there.
On the other hand, there’s the odd fact that people who want to adopt a white baby can’t find. Heck, people can’t even find domestically-born black babies to adopt so they’ve been adopting black kids from Africa. The reality is that women do not give up their babies for adoption. Not in any meaningful numbers. The Christian Right only talks about adoption when they are arguing with a liberal about abortion. Out there on the street they are encouraging motherhood. They know that it’s a lot easier to convince a woman to give birth and collect welfare than it is to convince a woman to give up her baby for adoption.
4.Who can say what’s evil and what’s not? They are both rather new ideas. No one in the Roman Empire, for example, gave a hoot about either racism or abortion. The Romans allowed fathers to kill their living children. Why would they care about a fetus? Jesus never mentioned abortion, and it's not mentioned anywhere in the Torah. Abortion being the ultimate evil is a newly invented concept.
* * *
The best comment was written by Eugenick:
We need a one-child policy like that of China, in which women who are pregnant the 2nd time either pay up the fine (or call it "tax" if you like), or are forced to abort and are then presented with the aborted fetus as psychological torture for the premeditated damage to society's average IQ and time preference (they fully deserve it, I believe).
It's the only way if you want to avoid the dystopian future depicted in the movie Idiocracy. But if Christian fanatics want their descendants to live in a society in which science cannot be done because there is no one left who is smart enough to understand the work of the forefathers, than go ahead. Oppose abortion. Promote stupidity. China will most certainly be thanking you for bringing down the intelligence of White nations.